I have an incurable sweet tooth, and love brownie batter even more than I love brownies. I typically don’t even have brownies around the house because they are too much of a temptation. However, I found a way to make brownie batter that is healthy AND delicious–and done in 5 minutes! Even better yet…it’s easy to make, full of protein, fiber and minerals (AND your kids will even love it)!
The harshest critic in our house (my 9 year old daughter) loved the brownie batter so much she went back for thirds! She didn’t believe that it was healthy–so in my books that’s a win!
If you have 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients, this recipe has your name written all over it!
Nutritional Benefits of Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus:
- Black beans–fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals (think healthy bones, helps prevent heart disease). Selenium may help prevent some cancers.
- Tahini-aka ground up sesame seeds. Protein, Vitamin B (energy and brain function!) and E (protects against heart disease and stroke), magnesium, iron and calcium
- Cacao (not to be confused with cocoa)-polyphenols (antioxidants, reduces inflammation and blood pressure), may improve mood and brain function, cancer protective properties–even helps with asthma symptoms
- Dark chocolate-fiber, vitamins and minerals, antioxidants (immunity-boosting)
- Celtic Sea Salt-excellent mineral powerhouse
- If you add protein powder, it gives it a massive boost in protein and other vitamins/minerals (depending on what protein powder you use–I currently love Purely Inspired Chocolate and Vanilla powder)
- 1-15 ounce can black beans (can use chickpeas aka garbanzo beans if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (or other nut butter or tahini)
- 4 tablespoons cold water (or almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or other sweetener like honey or Stevita powder; If using Stevita, use only 2 tablespoons powder or 14 drops liquid)
- 2 tablespoons cacao (or cocoa)
- (optional) 1.5 tablespoons protein powder (I use chocolate); can also sub 1.5 tablespoons pudding powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract; if using protein/pudding powder, add 1-2 more tablespoons water at the end depending on desired consistency
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- optional: add 1-2 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut butter into food processor, or sprinkle dark chocolate chips, coconut flakes, etc on top
- Drain and rinse the black beans
- Place tahini, oil, water, and syrup in food processor and blend until smooth. Place remaining ingredients in food processor and process until texture is smooth and all black beans are pureed well (may take up to 3 minutes). *Note-if you don't add protein powder, you will need less liquid.
- Optional: Blend in natural peanut butter or top with desired toppings (coconut flakes, chocolate chips, etc).
- Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you prefer a more "liquidy" hummus, add approximately 1 tablespoon more water. If you don't add protein powder, you will use less liquid.
Tahini is not required to make hummus. You can substitute almond, cashew, or even peanut butter in place of tahini.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stevita Organic Liquid Stevia Large - 3.3 Ounces - All Natural Sweetener, Zero Calories - USDA Organic, Non GMO, Vegan, Kosher, Paleo, Gluten-Free - 500 Servings
Purely Inspired Organic Protein 100% Plant-Based Nutritional Shake (2 Lbs.)
Purely Inspired Organic Protein Shake Powder, 100% Plant Based with Pea & Brown Rice Protein (Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan Friendly), French Vanilla, 1.5 Pound (Pack of 1)
Bulletproof XCT Oil, Perfect for Keto and Paleo Diet, 100% Non-GMO Premium C8 C10 MCT Oil, Ketogenic Friendly, Responsibly Sourced from Coconuts Only, Made in The USA (32 oz)
Viva Naturals #1 Best Selling Certified Organic Cacao Powder from Superior Criollo Beans, 1 LB Bag
Kevala Organic Sesami Tahini, 16 Ounce
Stevita Stevia Spoonable Sweetener, 16 Ounce
Celtic Sea Salt
Serving Size:2.5 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 239mg Carbohydrates: 20g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g
This is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and good to bring as a dessert platter to a party, complete with all the dipping options–apple slices, graham crackers, pretzel sticks–or just eat it with a spoon!
Try my other favorite hummus recipes here!