Do you roll out of bed and drink a cup (or pot) of coffee each morning? Coffee is a staple in our house and part of our morning “habits”–and I really don’t see a problem with that. But…when it comes to kick starting my morning and getting the adequate hydration our bodies need, I’ve started adding one thing before I down my first cup of coffee…my own electrolyte recipe made of Celtic Sea Salt & Lemon Water! Even though I’ve only started my morning hydration ritual a couple of months ago, I’ve stuck to it most days and notice a positive difference in the way I feel!
Hydrating at the start of your day is essential to the how the rest of your day will go. I used to wake up and immediately hit the coffee. Now, I drink at least 20 ounces of “magic water” aka electrolyte drink before even thinking about grabbing a cup (or two or three) of coffee.
When I recently heard that we can lose up to a liter of fluid just while sleeping during an eight hour period, (it’s usually a bit lower if you’re a nose breather–closer to 1/4 a Liter for most people), it made me definitely want to make sure I was restoring as much fluid as possible.
Morning Electrolyte Recipe:
Stir the following ingredients together in a glass (you may need to re-stir once if you have salt granules collect at the bottom after stirring the first time):
- “a pinch” (less than even 1/8 of a teaspoon) of Celtic Sea Salt (definitely not regular table salt!); I used to be a fan of Himalayan Sea Salt, but it’s been found to have micro plastics and not a lot of nutrients in it). Celtic Sea Salt has over 80 beneficial elements from the sea! I found Celtic Sea Salt at Whole Foods
- 12 ounces room temp water (the body likes room temp better)
- juice squeezed from a 1/4 of a lemon (I use Young Living’s Lemon Vitality Essential Oil as a substitute sometimes. If you want more info, let me know)
Not convinced? Try swapping your first drink of the day with this electrolyte concoction for a week and see how easy it is to add it to your routine! The lemon juice has Vitamin C and antibacterial qualities, and the much needed minerals from the salt (not found in regular table salt) can also help with:
- removing toxins
- improving sleep
- supplying alkaline properties (think acid vs base on the pH scale; Celtic and Himalayan salt is more on the “base” side…did you know cancer cells LOVE acidic environments? Anything I can do to get more “basic” on the pH scale, I’ll take!)
- strengthening bones and teeth
- enhancing mood
- more energy (I felt this one the most)
- assisting with weight loss
- relieving heartburn
- reducing inflammation
- destroying bacteria
Do you need any more reasons WHY you should be adding this electrolyte drink to your day? If you workout first thing in the morning like I often do, this is crucial to assisting with that morning workout PLUS helps you rehydrate immediately after your workout. I look forward to this miracle mix–make it part of your daily ritual today!