There are so many drinks out there that are packed full of sugar and lots of artificial ingredients that taste awesome going down, but soon after drinking them, make you crash off of a sugar high and feel “yucky” (i.e. those frappes, energy drinks, and sodas we “treat” ourselves to). No wonder! They can cause widespread inflammation in our bodies and even mess with our hormones (let alone a host of other negative impacts)! But good news–there are some really amazing ingredients that you can make drinks out of that taste awesome AND do wonders for your body. One of my favorites is Turmeric Ginger Tea.
Turmeric Ginger Tea
My Turmeric Ginger Tea recipe has so many amazing ingredients in it plus it tastes like you’re still treating yourself (and bonus–you don’t feel miserable after drinking it). No matter who you are, you can benefit from this tea. If you suffer from arthritis, are feeling a little under the weather, or are at your peak of health and athletic performance (or consider yourself a Plain Jane and just wanting to drink something tasty and healthy)–this tea is for you!
*I know it’s weird to put black pepper in a tea, but it helps the turmeric absorb in our body. Plus it adds a subtle “spiciness” to it.
- Anti-Cancer properties. The National Cancer Institute has given nod to curcumin as helping to prevent cancer
- Lowers LDL cholesterol
- Pain reducer
- 4 cups Chaga Mushroom tea (or coconut water or even plain water)
- 1 small turmeric bulb (or 1 T turmeric powder)
- 1 small chunk of ginger root (about the size of your thumb); or 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1 can coconut milk (you can find this at your local grocery store)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch Celtic Sea Salt (find at Whole Foods or online)
- stevita, honey, or other sweetener to taste (try without this ingredient first, it’s sort of sweet on its own!)
Prepare Chaga Mushroom tea (if you are using water, coconut water, or other neutral flavored liquid, skip this step). In case you were wondering, Chaga Mushroom tea does not taste like mushrooms, and it boasts ancient superfood power of immunity and antioxidant magic!
Peel the skin off the turmeric bulb and ginger.
Place all ingredients except for chaga mushroom tea into a blender. Puree on high until ginger and turmeric bulbs have been well blended. If you have a small chunk of ginger or turmeric leftover, either remove it or drink the tea “al dente” like I do and just eat up the goodness!
Stir the prepared Chaga tea (or other liquid of choice) into the blended ingredients.
Heat on medium heat just until warm. Do not boil. Add more cinnamon, black pepper, or sweetener to taste.
This is delicious warm or on ice (talk about refreshing!). Add a bit of ground cinnamon on top to make it even prettier! Store in refrigerator for up to a week. This makes a perfect holiday drink!